Geohive (global population statistics)
Worldometers (current global stats)
Ask students to find a set of numbers with a few conditions e.g. specify the mode, mean, median and range. Useful to assess whether students really understand averages.
When teaching information, a collective memory task can work well.
- Get groups (2-4) to take turns to go to a poster on the wall and try to recreate the poster on their tables.
- Use for revision or AfL
- Can give extra points for additional information
- But be careful with e.g. dyslexic kids who may struggle with short-term memory
Use n-rich Great Expectations to teach probability
- Open-ended task
- Give five minutes to discuss and then get a range of differentiated goals that groups can tick when they achieve it.
- If using ability groupings, have more than one G and T group so they’ll compete.